Beef Rendang (Malaysian-Italian style). Apart from the obvious side-dishes like rice and sambals, I like to serve my rendang with a side of acar-acar (atjar-atjar in the old spelling in Indonesia): coursely-grated white cabbage, sliced carrots, sliced fresh red chilis (only a few), white vinegar, water, sugar, salt and a few peppercorns. Beef Rendang - the best and most authentic beef rendang recipe you will find online! Spicy, rich and creamy Malaysian/Indonesian beef stew made with beef, spices and coconut milk.
Beef Rendang is one of our favourite curry recipes. Fragrant and rich, Rendang is made using beef and coconut to give it a fantastic sweet, salty and umami flavour. Since this is the dry beef rendang recipe, the cooking process should be continued until the liquid has totally evaporated. You can have Beef Rendang (Malaysian-Italian style) using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Beef Rendang (Malaysian-Italian style)
- It's 400 gm of beef (any flank parts).
- You need of Ingredients A- to blend.
- You need 2 of large scallions.
- It's 3 cloves of garlic.
- It's 1 tbsp of cumin.
- You need 1 tbsp of coriander.
- Prepare 1 inch of ginger.
- Prepare 1 inch of galangal.
- You need 2 sticks of fresh lemongrass (cut into slices).
- It's 2 inches of fresh turmeric.
- You need of Some water.
- It's of Ingredients B-.
- You need 3 tbsp of Sambal Oelek.
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk cream.
- You need to taste of Sugar and salt.
- Prepare of Ingredients C-.
- You need 1 cup of grated coconut.
- It's to taste of Concentrated tamarind.
- You need of To garnish: Leaves of fresh kaffir lime or lime.
This will take about four hours. Add water if it becomes too dry before the end of four hours. The authentic Minang rendang is dry, as opposed to the moist beef rendang more popular in Malaysia, Singapore, and the western. Beef rendang is one of Malaysia's most recognisable and universally loved dishes, and is often served at celebrations and ceremonial occasions as well as for religious festivals like Eid.
Beef Rendang (Malaysian-Italian style) instructions
- Blend ingredients A with some water and sautee in a non stick frying pan until you can smell the flavor..
- Add beef and cook until the beef is no longer red..
- Add ingredients B and cook until beef is soft. Keep adding water if it's dry..
- While waiting for beef to cook, start removing the blended ingredients A and cooked Sambal Oelek (we only want the right amount of spiciness) from the sauce using a sifter (I found this inside IKEA). Only remove the amount needed, depending on your taste..
- Add ingredients C and keep stirring until the sauce thickens as you like..
- Garnish with sliced kaffir lime leaves or lime leaves. I mixed the leaves all over and leave it to cool before serving. It can be heated up again either using microwave or on a pan (make sure to add water in case it's too dry)..
Mandy's version takes inspiration from the aromas of her mother's kitchen - toasted coconut, lemongrass, kaffir lime, cinnamon, tamarind and chilli - to create a dish that touches every corner of your palate. Stir and add the palm sugar and toasted coconut. This easy recipe will show you how to make a delicious slow-cooked Indonesian Beef curry in coconut milk. This recipe is my attempt to recreate the Rendang Daging that I used to get with my take-aways at the Dapur Ibu many years ago. Again it is not a perfect copy but it is close.