Risoles with chicken ragoet (creamy) filling - Indonesian Snack. You find Indonesian risoles filled with anything from ham and cheese, beef, curry flavored chicken, or my favorite: chicken ragout. It is then breaded and deep fried until the outer skin is golden brown and crispy while the ragout inside stays soft and creamy. Oddly, this delightful, European influenced snack is typically served with bird's.
The time to make the sheets and to fill them with the ragout and bake them in the oil you will need a lot of time. So make sure that you have enough time to do this. It's a frying kinda crepes with filling. You can have Risoles with chicken ragoet (creamy) filling - Indonesian Snack using 28 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Risoles with chicken ragoet (creamy) filling - Indonesian Snack
- Prepare of Filling***.
- You need of 100 gr boil chicken cut square small/shredded.
- You need 1-2 of carrots cut small square (if you have).
- It's 2 tbsp of shredded cheese (i used mix of mozarella n cheddar).
- You need 100 of boil macaroni/ potato cut square small (I used potato can).
- Prepare 2 of spring onions slices thinly.
- It's 1/2 of onion cut small square.
- You need 2 of tbp all purpose flour.
- You need 150 ml of milk.
- You need 3 of chillies slices (optional).
- You need 2 of garlic slices (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of white pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sweetener / sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of chicken powder knorr (optional).
- It's 1 tbsp of condense milk (optional).
- It's 1/2 tsp of salt (add if need it).
- It's 1 tbsp of butter to fry.
- Prepare of Pancake/wrapper***.
- You need 150 gr of all purpose / cake flour.
- Prepare 350 ml of semi skimmed milk (add if need it).
- You need 2 of eggs - medium.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 2 tbsp of oil.
- It's of The finishing***.
- It's 1/4 cup of pancake butter.
- Prepare 1 of eggs.
- Prepare of Breadcrumbs or panko (I prefer breadcrumbs).
We can use a lot of different things for the filling. Mayonnaise with smoked beef & cheese, strifry vegetable, vermicelli etc. Indonesian risoles have a crepe-like wrapper that you fill and roll up, and then deep fry. Brazilian risoles are like breaded empanadas—the dough is rolled out and filled, breaded, then deep-fried.
Risoles with chicken ragoet (creamy) filling - Indonesian Snack instructions
- Filling: In a pan/wok, heat the butter till melted, and start frying the onion, garlic n chillies till fragrant..
- Put the flour little by little while mixing this then start pour the milk. Keep mixing. It wont be smooth, but its ok..
- Add the shredded chicken, carrots (if you have), spring onion. Also add the sugar, nutmeg, knorr, and salt. Dont put too much salt if you are using cheese. Put the potatoes. Last, put the shredded cheese, mix well then turn it off. Taste it. It should taste savoury with a bit of sweetness. Set aside..
- The pancake. In a bowl, put the flour and salt, mixed. Then put the rest of the ingredients. Stirred till smooth. I prefer to use mixer for this, as the pancake will be smooth. This batter should be watery/very thin..
- Start by heating a small pan (I used 15-20cm teflon). When its hot, turn it down to middle heat..
- Pour the batter (I used 1/4cup), and move it around so it cover all the surface (like you make crepes). If you thinks its not thin enough, add the milk.
- Keep an eye on it. When you see its done (still white, dont let it go brown). Turn it over in a plate (it should be easily peel off when its done). We only need to cooked 1 side..
- Keep doing this till finish. I prefer to start filling everytime a pancake finish. So it still warm and easier to used..
- Finishing: put a pancake in plate or chopping board. Use a teaspoon to add the filling in the middle. And follow the picture. You basically making an envelope..
- Prepare the finishing. Use 2 separate bowl. For dipping (egg mix with batter) and for breadcrumbs..
- Put the risoles in the dipping with your left hand, move it to the breadcrumb bowl. Using your right hand, cover all areas with it. And put it aside. By using both hands, your risoles will stay dry..
- Do this to all the risoles. It is better to put in fridge about an hour or so before you fry them, as it will stick better, but its not a must. You can also leave it in fridge till a couple of day. (This can be freeze too)..
- Frying: use pan and cover with oil, it should cover the risoles (or at least half of it). Heat it up and when its hot, turn it down just a bit..
- Start frying one side till its a bit brown, then fry the other side. It shouldn’t take long as its already cooked anyway. 1-2minutes of each side. And its done 🙂 this can be eat on its own, or can be eat with chillies or sauces (example: dip in peanut sauce, chili sauce or my fave is mayonnaise mixed with chilly sauce (ABC brand)..
Both styles are delicious and can have many types of fillings. This recipe is for a standard (but yummy) chicken and cheese filling. This can be use with wooden ladle or spatula. When it's all mixed, smooth and turn like a batter. turn the stove to medium and continue stirring using wooden stick or spatula till all looks a bit like a sticky and doughy. The ragout we know is usually chicken or beef with vegetable with very thick clear or creamy sauce seasoned with pepper and nutmeg.