Indonesian coconut beef. This Indonesian beef curry recipe will show you how to make a Rendang curry (as it is known in Indonesia). This beef Rendang recipe is not only very easy to make, but it does produce an absolutely delicious beef curry, as the beef is slow cooked in coconut milk. OK, so it is not quick to make, but it is worth the wait.
Lower heat to medium; add oil to pan. Cut the beef against the grain into the required size, wash and drain all excess water. How to make the Indonesian spice paste. You can cook Indonesian coconut beef using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indonesian coconut beef
- Prepare 1 1/2 lb of Boneless sirloin steak trimmed.
- It's 3 tbsp of Corn oil.
- You need 1 large of Spanish onion sliced.
- You need 1 clove of Garlic crushed.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Ground ginger.
- It's 1 tsp of Ground cumin.
- You need 1 tsp of Ground coriander.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Chili seasoning.
- It's 2/3 cup of Shredded unsweetened coconut.
- It's 2 tsp of Light brown sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
- It's 1 1/4 cup of Beef stock.
- Prepare 1 of Thin slivers red bell pepper.
- It's 1 of Chopped green chilies.
- Prepare 1 small of slices onion.
Braised in coconut milk with a host of spices and aromatics, rendang is a luscious Indonesian beef stew served at all manner of special occasions. Put the coconut milk and water in a wok or large pan over medium to high flame and bring to a boil. Add the garlic, shallot, galangal, turmeric, chile, nutmeg, cardamom, coriander, cumin, ginger. Stir frequently as the sauce thickens.
Indonesian coconut beef step by step
- Cut steak in 1/2 inch thick strips..
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add Spanish onion slices and garlic and fry gently until soft. Add beef and fry, stirring, until brown..
- Add the spices to the beef and cook for 2 minutes..
- Add coconut, brown sugar, lemon juice, and beef stock; stir well..
- Simmer gently uncovered 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mixture is thickened and dry. Stir mixture more frequently towards the end of cooking time to prevent sticking..
- Garnish with slivers of bell pepper green chilies and small slices of onion..
- If you prefer a more moist mixture, cook 20 to 25 minutes instead of 30 to 35 minutes..
Indonesian cuisine is a collection of various regional culinary traditions that formed the archipelagic nation of Indonesia. Reserve the onions and garlic to a separate plate, add the remaining oil, turn the heat up a little and brown the beef. Add the spices and stir fry for a minute. Beef rendang is carefully stirred, simmered and cooked for three to four hours until the coconut milk has totally evaporated and the meat has absorbed the flavor of the herbs and spices. Dried rendang can be stored at room temperature for three to four weeks.